I love any activity in math, but what do I love more? Trying out a NEW activity! It adds to the activity toolkit and keeps things fresh for not only students, but for the teacher as well. My students were always fond of my Math Libs, coloring activities, scavenger hunts, task cards (and more!), but I wanted to come up with something totally new to try. I was watching TV one night, and for those that know me well, I’m only 25% paying attention to the TV, the other 75% is thinking of new ideas. I came up with this pyramid idea where students solve the problems, and specifically place them down so that each solution is the sum of the two solutions directly above it. I decided to use multi-step equations as the first topic to test it out.
After it was finished and I tried it out, I was in love! It’s easy to prep, was a solid and engaging review of solving equations, and as an added bonus, an awesome review of adding integers!
All you need to do is print the pyramid (I like to use colored paper) and the equations (I like to use white paper).
Students solve each equation. I recommend having them use notebook paper to organize and show all their work. They write the answers in those circles, then cut out each box. They arrange the top row using the given letters on the pyramid template, then place each box so that it’s solution is the sum of the two solutions directly above it.
You can download the Multi-Step Equations Pyramid Puzzle here. Since I received some great feedback on it, I have created some others since. Check these out too!
All Things Algebra